What is a Sangaku?: A Learning and Reasoning Memoir in Attempting to Find the Answer
Opening
up the course page for our “Day 20” work, I found myself a bit at a loss with
what I saw. On the page were some colorful, yet complicated, diagrams of
geometric shapes. At first, reading about this Sangaku I was required to make,
I thought, “It’s a circle inside of a triangle. What’s so hard about that?”
Then I saw that the shapes were supposed to stay inside one another, growing
and changing as another shape grew and changed. This is when I thought, “How am
I supposed to make that?”
With
our work time in class, I was still at a loss. Professor Golden had made a
fairly valiant attempt at explaining what to do, but since I have a small issue
called “impatience,” I sort of paid attention while trying to make headway on
the Sangaku. This ended up being much more difficult than I expected. For one
thing, the circle didn’t grow and change as my triangle grew and changed, and I
wasn’t sure why.
Asking
Professor Golden, he directed me to the conics section, where I was to create a
parabola and use that to find the centers of circles. By the end of class, I
had a pretty good diagram.
Then
I made a mistake. I didn’t save it, I forgot how to do it, and then I went on
my merry way. The other mistake there was that I had had a test the next
Thursday, so I devoted all my efforts to understanding abstract algebra and
pushed Sangaku reasoning to the back of my mind. Then, once I went to thinking
about it again at 9 pm on a Thursday night, I had completely forgotten how to
create the shape I had been working on.
After
a lot of thinking, Chrome crashes, and headaches, I finally came up with a
shape that satisfied the definition of Sangaku. It grows and changes if I move
the elements of the shape, and it looks pretty cool besides.
How
did I do this? Well, let’s walk through it.
I
started by creating a square. This is a lot harder than one might think since
it involves quite a bit of moving around to get all the lines to be the same
length.
I
then plotted both angle bisectors and perpendicular bisectors. The ultimate
goal of doing this was to see where center of the circle that is designed to “kiss
all sides” of the square would go.
I
then plotted a center point in the middle of my angle and perpendicular
bisectors. I used this point as the “focus” of my parabolas and plotted four
parabolas, each with a directrix that was each side of the square. The points
where the parabolas intersected the square, also plotted below, served as the
points where the circle “kissed” the sides of my square.
I
used this circle’s “kiss” points to plot four more parabolas, where each point
was the focus and the directrix was the corresponding bisector line that was
straight across from it. I also plotted the intersection points where the
parabolas used to plot the original circle and the new parabolas met, which
would now serve as the centers of my two new circles. I then plotted the
circles, using the intersection points as my centers and the “kiss” points as
the point where the circle stopped.
Finally,
I plotted two more parabolas. I used the end of one parabola, with endpoint
labeled “N”, and another with the endpoint “P”, as my foci. My directrixes were
the corresponding lines of my square. I then plotted my two final circles using
where the parabola’s vertex crossed the perpendicular bisector, which I labeled
accordingly.
I
then used the endpoints of my square to make semicircular arcs. This ends up
forming the whole Sangaku.
So,
this demonstrates how I started with absolutely zero knowledge of how to
approach the problem, but worked through it using my reasoning and my knowledge
about parabolas. I am still rather confused as to how hyperbolas and ellipses
would help to plot similar shapes, but I am happy that I at least began to form
reasoning behind why a Sangaku would look this way.
I
hope that I could perhaps use a similar exercise to teach my class about why
conics are applicable to more than just forming equations. Additionally,
although it requires a lot of critical thinking, which in and of itself is
valuable to a math classroom, this is a pretty fun activity and I think
students would enjoy doing it. I hope that they find themselves thinking strongly
about their reasoning like I did, as well.
I would love to hear any feedback on how someone else did the Sangaku, and I would like some feedback on how to understand conics a bit more. Additionally, I would love to hear how others would teach this.
Note: I used GeoGebra to plot these circles. I imagine kids could use paper or whiteboards as well, but I think GeoGebra shows the visual uniquness of Sangaku a bit more.







Neat-o! (It would be even neat-o-er if the little circles were tangent to the big circles!) Good think aloud in sharing your process and the diagrams were very supportive.
ReplyDelete5Cs +
ps: could submit this for some geometry or conic section standards.
Great post again. Sorry for the late response. I love using a compass and straightedge, so this post was right up my alley. I solved your problem the same way that Kati did for the same reasons. For this problem I think it is easier, but once things get more difficult your method is unbeatable. Great job.
ReplyDelete