Does High School Need to Change?: An Investigation
What Makes a High School Teacher "Good"?
We have all had high school teachers that have made a significant impact on us. For one person I spoke with, her pre-calculus teacher was great because he encouraged students to ask questions and made every student feel as if they had a significant mathematical ability. Another woman’s favorite teacher was her high school English teacher, who had his students turn their desks into a circle and collaborate with one another, facilitating deep discussion and fostering a love of literature into his students. For another, her high school teacher stood out as being great because she helped her student to navigate some tough family issues in the midst of her depression, and allowed the student to seek solace from her, even though this went far beyond her role as a classroom educator.
Besides personal testimony, various articles have also been written about the definition of a “good” teacher. One writer defined a good teacher by their personality: They are good-natured and approachable, they are professional without being aloof, they are demanding without being unkind, they seem comfortable in their own skin, they have a good sense of humor, they seem to enjoy what they do, and they make teaching look easy (Jenkins). Another source describes characteristics of “great” teachers in the following way: Great teachers “build early confidence, leading to lasting personal vision.” Great teachers “teach inside and outside the classroom,” not only caring for the students as academic pupils but also as whole people. Finally, great teachers “help students create ‘a-ha!’ moments that resonate for the rest of their lives.” (Porterfield.) Despite the fact that these authors focus on different aspects of teaching, they say the same thing: Great teachers are passionate leaders who inspire their students to not only succeed in the content material, but also in life as a whole.
So many teachers have made a wonderful impact on students. But far too often, I hear students saying, “Oh, my high school teacher didn’t teach us anything,” or, “I hated my high school teacher.” As I progress further and further toward my teaching career, I regrettably see far less inspiration and innovation from teachers, and far more “teaching to the test.” When did teachers stop fostering long-term critical thinking skills? When did teachers stop being passionate and encouraging this same passion from their students? What happened to these stories of high school teachers being figureheads, admired for their dedication and skill?
This semester, I had the wonderful opportunity to gain further teaching experience by facilitating an entry-level mathematics course, where I would review the content taught in class by the professor twice a week with students who were considered “at-risk” in the class. Not only was I able to develop lesson plans and materials to better equip the students with what they needed to succeed, but I was given an up-close and personal view of these students’ preparedness for college courses. What I noticed, however, was a complete and utter lack of critical thinking skills on the students’ part, and an inability to truly comprehend mathematics. Sure, the students could memorize a formula or a process of how to solve an equation, but they didn’t retain the information for a sustained period of time. They had never known how to factor, why we factored quadratic equations, how to model real-life situations with various types of functions, or even what the value of e was supposed to mean. I also noticed that my students only thrived in an “I Do-We Do- You Do” environment: that is, they learned best when an example was given on the board, the teacher worked through the example for the class, the class worked through an example together with the teacher supporting, and then the students were given an example to work through alone. This teaching style definitely drills various mathematical processes into students’ heads, but it certainly doesn’t promote long-term thinking! None of my students were excited about mathematics, or learning for that matter. They had clearly never been taught the joy of learning new things. So I wondered: Were high school teachers preparing students enough for college? This is the question I initially chose to investigate, but my questioning became so much deeper as I researched. Inspired by my entry-level math students, I found out some interesting things about education, and developed further ideas on how I hope to change it.
Are Students College-Ready?
I first strove to answer this question by conducting my own research. I formulated a survey online with the following six questions, three of them multiple-choice and three of them short-answer.
1. How would you say the majority of your math teachers taught in high school? (Options: “I Do- We Do- You Do,” self-taught, flipped classroom, guided practice and discussion, other).
2. How would you say the majority of your college math professors teach? (Options: “I Do- We Do-You Do,” lecture, self-taught, flipped classroom, guided practice, other).
3. How would you prefer to have been taught in high school and/or college? (Options: “I Do-We Do-You Do,” lecture, self-taught, flipped classroom, guided practice, other).
4. How do you think your high school math teacher’s teaching style affected your ability to learn in college?
5. What do you wish your high school math teacher would have done differently?
6. What did your high school math teacher do that was effective and helped you to learn? Why?
In my survey, I obtained 52 responses to my online query. Below are my statistical findings for questions 1-3.
Sources:
I also organized the responses I received in question 4 by the nature of the response, organizing them in “positive,” “negative,” or “neutral.” This would help me to see how students truly felt about the college preparation their high school teacher had offered them. This chart is below.
Finally, I read through the responses for questions 5 and 6, and I noted the most significant responses. For example, for the question “What do you wish your high school math teacher would have done differently?” I received some of the responses below:
· Shown us that math is beautiful and exciting.
· Made math exciting for me. Math was already a difficult subject to understand, but it doesn’t help when the teacher doesn’t show any real passion for math.
· I wish they would have somehow gotten us to see why the things we were learning made sense based on what we had previously learned, made what we were doing relevant to our lives, and emphasized the importance of making and learning from mistakes.
· I wish they would have taught a little bit less to the ACT, and a little bit more to deeper understanding.
In contrast, I asked students, “What did your high school math teacher do that was effective and helped you learn? Why?” Here are some notable responses.
· They gave me encouragement; specifically, my Calculus teacher got me to believe that I could be successful in college, and I have been.
· Giving us challenging problems, being patient with answering questions, being passionate towards teaching and math in general, having high expectations of students.
· One spent quite a bit of time with me my freshman year. I can only do math in its long form to first learn it. The teacher understood that and took the time to explain to me separately how to do that. The rest of them told me simply that it just easier to do the shortcut and that I shouldn’t worry about it the other way.
· Be open and reassuring about help. Nothing is worse than asking for help from someone that makes you feel stupid for needing it.
I saw some patterns in these responses: The “bad” teachers were those who taught to the test, who lectured and drove no real passion from mathematics, who didn’t foster creativity and innovation in their students. All of the responses I read desired more from their teachers, and craved the desire to feel excited about mathematics. In contrast, the “good” teachers were those who let students know that they cared: they made an effort to encourage and help their students, they showed a true love for teaching and for mathematics, and they ensured long-term understanding in their students. So, did these “good” teachers surpass their counterparts in preparing their students for academic success beyond high school? My answer is yes.
As my survey results revealed, the majority of college classes are presented in a lecture format. Most often, incoming students are offered very little room for creativity and passion, and if their high school teacher did not foster this passion within them, they are not as likely to flourish in the college lecture hall. This, however, is not the only difference between high school and college courses. The starkest contrasts between high school and college are the amount and difficulty of the work given, higher expectations of students from their professors, non-mandatory attendance, results-oriented learning goals, and students choosing their own classes. One student related how underprepared these differences made them feel, saying, “College professors expect you to read the syllabus, and the classroom is set up where it is sink or swim. Do the work or fail. High school teachers reminded us about the deadlines for our projects every day, and tried to help us if we were struggling” (Appleby).
While there is a reasonable amount of scaffolding high school teachers are expected to adhere to, it is evident that they may be holding students’ hands too much. However, when “learning” is simply numbly following directions on from a teacher droning on while writing on a whiteboard, how can students be prepared to utilize this information elsewhere? With a school system that is obsessed with increasing test scores and boosting margins, why wouldn’t a student be unprepared?
High school graduation rates are increasing, since in the U.S., rates are at an 82%. However, college graduation rates are remaining stagnant, due to the large majority of ill-prepared students. A study showed that, overall, high school courses make no more than a 2% difference in a college class with similar material, even when the high school courses included advanced placement. Additionally, the California Community College system reported over 50% of their students needing remedial training in math and English, attributing many of the student problems to a lack of critical-thinking based learning in high school (Ferenstein).
Clearly, something needs to change. We must change the school system, if not only to promote college-readiness, but to also foster creative learning and independent thinking in students from a young age. However, how should we go about this?
High Schools Need a Makeover
In my research on this topic, I happened upon several alternative solutions for the proposed reimagining of the high school education system. The first solution asked this simple question: What if we treated high school students like college students? (Boles).
The author proposed three policy changes to high schools: Attendance should no longer be mandatory, learning goals should focus more on results, and students should choose their own classes. High school was imagined to be a place that was similar to a college campus: the spaces offered for libraries, study halls, and clubs would greatly expand, and attendance, although it would diminish, would let administrators know which classes were the worst and which were the best. Parents and students alike would demand good teachers and interesting courses, while the school itself would offer further training in independent learning, critical thinking, and organization to best prepare its students for the academic weight of college.
Potential critics may ask the following questions: What if students only want to take the fun classes, instead of the important ones? What if the motivated and responsible students are the only ones to succeed? What if students who don’t want to go to class cause distractions for others? The author addresses these risks: First of all, he proposes that the high school system sacrifices a traditional curriculum for one that supports engaging classes that promote interest for all students. Secondly, he proposes offering a first-year, hands-on course in self-directed learning, so that every student can be motivated, responsible, and successful. Finally, he adds the possibility of developing new programs that promote different learning styles, so that every student can be engaged.
The second solution is a little less radical, and provides a quick fix to the college preparation problem. This solution proposes developing a rigorous college-prep program for high schools. In order to develop such a program, however, administrative action needs to take place. Policymakers should first develop the links between high school and college performance, and then schools should experiment with courses that are innovative, yet provide long-term benefits (Ferenstein). In the classroom itself, teachers have their own responsibilities. Teachers must inform students of the differences between high school and college courses, and inform them of the higher expectations that they will be receiving once they are in college. Next, teachers should make an effort to educate students on the successful skills, knowledge, and attitudes that they will need to adapt to the new academic environment. Finally, teachers should provide further assignments and activities that foster these skills that students will be using in college (Appleby). For example, teachers could give students a critical thinking based task in which they give minimal direction and convey high expectations, helping students to see the vastly different expectations of college educators.
The third and final solution may be a bit different, but provides more significant impact than most people realize. This solution asks: What if we changed the space that students learn in? Non-traditional classrooms are gaining more and more traction, as students with attention disorders and students with disabilities need further flexibility in the classroom. Teachers are decorating their spaces with bright colors, big windows, couches and pillows for students to sit in, and areas for students to work together. However, as students get older, they are expected to adhere to a uniform classroom environment, where they sit in rows, eyes to the front, looking at the teacher in a dim, colorless room. Perhaps if students had a different space to learn, they would enjoy learning more and more.
Several education experts were asked to design their dream classroom (Deruy). Here are some of my favorite ideas:
· Classrooms equipped with movable desks and unattached, movable chairs. There are pillows near big, open windows, and standing is allowed so students with attention difficulties can move around the in order to retain their focus.
· Space is provided in the classroom for students to collaborate, and there is a place where students can post their ideas and work in the classroom, fostering a sense of community.
· Desks are arranged in a circle, so that all students can be involved in classroom discussion and learn from one another.
· The latest technology is used appropriately and efficiently, and the classroom is one-to-one with technology so students can utilize a variety of resources.
I like to imagine a classroom with adequate space for students to work together and collaborate on problems, and I like to imagine creating a classroom where students feel at home. If students enjoy the learning environment, perhaps they will learn to enjoy learning itself, and this is half the battle.
Every solution has its benefits and its hardships, but one thing holds true: Many people agree that high school needs a makeover. Perhaps if we begin implementing creative efforts, as educators, to help students become college-ready, we can move schools one step further to making the change it needs.
Final Thoughts: What Can I Do?
When I started this project, I never thought I would end up analyzing the amount of needed change. I certainly never thought I would be developing a call to action, not only for high schools, but for myself and for other educators. I am a far cry from a game-changer: I don’t implement policies, write rules, or promote specific curriculum in schools. However, as a future teacher, it is my job to help my students become college-ready. While schools may take a long time to implement the necessary policies to ensure student success in their later academic years, I can do what I can now. I can develop further critical-thinking based activities. I can encourage my students to think deeply, to embrace their mistakes, and to truly learn what mathematics is about. I can expect a lot from my students, and in return, I know they will try their best to succeed. I can promote independence, responsibility, and motivation from my students, and I can do my best to ensure that they will not be going into college unprepared. We, as educators, must be the champions of preparing students for their future- a role we will readily embrace and happily fulfill.
1. Appleby, D.C. (2017, Jan. 30). How Do College Freshmen View the Academic Differences Between High School and College? Retrieved from http://psychlearningcurve.org/how-do-college-freshmen-view-the-academic-differences-between-high-school-and-college/.
2. Boles, B. (2015, Feb. 18). Give High School Students the Same Freedom as College Students. Retrieved from https://www.huffingtonpost.com/blake-boles/give-high-school-students_b_6354654.html
3. Deruy, E., Glatter, H., & Wong, A. (2016, Sep. 2). Reimagining the Modern Classroom. Retrieved from https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/09/reimagining-the-modern-classroom/498224/
4. Ferenstein, G. & Hershbein, B. (2016, Jul. 20). How important are high school courses to college performance? Less than you might think. Retrieved from https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown-center-chalkboard/2016/07/20/how-important-are-high-school-courses-to-college-performance-less-than-you-might-think/.
5. Jenkins, R. (2016, May 31). What Makes a Good Teacher? Retrieved from https://www.chronicle.com/article/What-Makes-a-Good-Teacher-/236657.
6. Porterfield, D. R. (2015, Oct. 21). College Students Tell Us Why High School Teaching Makes a Difference. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/dporterfield/2015/10/21/college-students-tell-us-why-high-school-teaching-makes-a-difference/#a029888368a3.
2. Boles, B. (2015, Feb. 18). Give High School Students the Same Freedom as College Students. Retrieved from https://www.huffingtonpost.com/blake-boles/give-high-school-students_b_6354654.html
3. Deruy, E., Glatter, H., & Wong, A. (2016, Sep. 2). Reimagining the Modern Classroom. Retrieved from https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/09/reimagining-the-modern-classroom/498224/
4. Ferenstein, G. & Hershbein, B. (2016, Jul. 20). How important are high school courses to college performance? Less than you might think. Retrieved from https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown-center-chalkboard/2016/07/20/how-important-are-high-school-courses-to-college-performance-less-than-you-might-think/.
5. Jenkins, R. (2016, May 31). What Makes a Good Teacher? Retrieved from https://www.chronicle.com/article/What-Makes-a-Good-Teacher-/236657.
6. Porterfield, D. R. (2015, Oct. 21). College Students Tell Us Why High School Teaching Makes a Difference. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/dporterfield/2015/10/21/college-students-tell-us-why-high-school-teaching-makes-a-difference/#a029888368a3.
Comments
Post a Comment